The Northern Territory (NT) Government is seeking highly skilled professionals and tradespeople under the Skilled Work Regional 491 and 190 visa programs.

If you have a skilled occupation that is in demand in Australia’s top end, the NT Government may be interested in nominating you to support your visa application under one of the nominated general skilled migration visa subclasses.

Any overseas citizen, regardless of where they are currently living, can apply to the NT Government for nomination of a subclass 491 or 190 visa. Prospective visa applicants must meet NT Government and the Australian Government’s Department of Home Affairs eligibility requirements.

Read: Common questions for NT Government visa nominations

What does nomination by the Northern Territory Government mean?

The NT Government can nominate you as a skilled migrant if you have an occupation on the NT Migration Occupation List or if your occupation is on the Australian Government’s current list of eligible skilled occupations and you have:

  • skills and experience relevant to the NT
  • strong evidence of positive employment prospects in the NT either in your skilled occupation or a closely related skilled occupation
  • a demonstrated commitment to living and working in the NT or if you have been living and working in the NT for the specified period

Read: NT Migration Occupation List

The NT Government nominates on the basis that you are committed to living and working in your skilled occupation or in a closely related skilled occupation in the NT. This means that you look for work, live and settle for at least three years in the NT after your visa has been granted.


To migrate to Australia’s Northern Territory (NT) under an NT Government nomination you must:

  • meet the Australian Government requirements to be granted the visa
  • be nominated by the NT Government
  • be able to meet all other Australian Government visa requirements for permanent residence including age, health and character if applicable – this includes you and any dependents included on your visa application.
For International Students who study in the NT

Eligible NT graduates are those who have successfully completed at least two years of full-time study at a college or university in the NT that has led to a qualification.

If you are in this category, you must provide evidence of your studies in the NT and demonstrate strong employment outcomes in the NT, in your occupation.

You must provide:

  • a letter showing your commitment to the NT
  • six months of bank statements showing transactions as evidence of living in the NT
  • evidence of employment prospects in your field, in the NT and a genuine intention to live and work in the NT for at least three years after your visa is granted.

Evidence of financial capacity and research on the NT is not required as you already live in the NT.

Please note: NT international graduates, those who have qualified by studying for no less than two years at a college or university in the NT, can lodge a nomination for any of the skilled occupations on the Department of Home Affairs’ list of occupations eligible for the General Skilled Migration Program.

Other international student graduates

These guidelines apply to former international students who have not completed at least two years of study in the NT.

If you are in this group the NT Government will consider applications only when you have done all of the following:

  • lived in the NT for at least six months
  • worked full-time in the nominated skilled occupation or a closely related skilled occupation for six months in the NT immediately before applying for NT nomination
  • been paid at the NT market rate for the skilled occupation in which you have been employed in the NT for six months
  • demonstrated employment prospects in your field, in the NT and a genuine intention to live and work in the NT for at least three years after your visa is granted.

These students will generally only be considered for subclass 491 visa nomination however, the NT Government will decide on applications for subclass 190 nominations on a case-by-case basis. Exceptions may be considered, but only in compelling circumstances.

For people overseas and those who have not studied in Australia please read more of the NT website for the details.

Are you interested in applying to Northern Territory for nomination? Speak to us here at Australian Immigration Law Services. Let us help you prepare for the visa application in a painless manner and get that family member here with you in Australia as soon as possible. Call +61 2 8054 2537, 0434 890 199 or book online today to speak to our migration specialists.

Zoe He