Math teacher smiling

General Skilled Migration

General Skilled Migration

Various Australian temporary and permanent residence visas are available to skilled applicants. Depending on the visa subclass, the applicant must nominate an occupation featured on the Medium and Long Term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL) or Short Term Skilled Occupation List (STSOL). The MLTSSL and STSOL evolves yearly to meet the needs of the Australian economy. Applicants must also pass a points test. You can be onshore or offshore when you apply and when the visa is granted.

The process begins with a submission of Expression of Interest (EOI) under a GSM visa subclass. Only if the requirements for that subclass are met will you have the chance of be invited by to apply for your visa. You cannot apply without an invitation.


Which visa subclass?

Which visa can you apply for? We have compiled the ultimate list! Our occupation list shows you the visas available to your occupation, including your assessment authority, and other useful information.

A number of factors come into play, such as if you are willing to live in a specific state or regional area for a number of years, but most critically, if you can score sufficient points and which visas are available to you based on your occupation



GSM Points Test

Can you achieve 65 points? Use our points test list to calculate your points. Lacking points? Consider state or regional sponsorship! Also, read up on how to achieve more points.

Find: AILS GSM Points Test

Read: 189, 190 And 489 Visas: Calculating Skilled Employment Points

Read: 189, 190 And 489 Visas: Australian Work And Study Points – Did You Hold The Right Visa And Comply With Your Conditions?

Read: Need More Points? Tips on Claiming Work Experience for Your 189, 190, 489 Visa

Read: Need More Points? Bilingual? NAATI May Be Your Answer