Student & Graduate
Under the Simplified Student Visa Framework (SSVF), there is only one visa subclass for students and one for student guardians.
- Student visa (subclass 500) for all international students
- Student Guardian visa (subclass 590) for guardians of international students.
The Australian study visa structure initially consisted of 8 subclasses and underwent a major overhaul to increase the efficiency in processing. The new student visa structure, called the SSVF, was made effective 1 July 2016.
Temporary Graduate Visa
The Temporary Graduate visa (subclass 485) is a visa allowing students who have completed higher studies in Australia to stay on to live and work for a period varying 18 months to 4 years, depending on the type of studies that were completed. The applicant needs to be onshore at the time of application and visa decision. There are two streams to this visa:
- The Graduate Work stream applies to international students with an eligible qualification who graduate with skills and qualifications that relate to an occupation on the Skilled Occupation List (SOL). A visa in this stream is granted for 18 months from the date of grant
- The Post-Study Work stream applies to international students who graduate with a higher education degree from an Australian education provider, regardless of their field of study. This stream is only available to students who applied for, and were granted, their first student visa to Australia on or after 5 November 2011. A visa in this stream can be granted for up to four years, depending on the visa applicant’s qualification
Australian Study Requirement
The Australian Study Requirement is satisfied when:
- You have completed one or more degrees, diplomas or trade in Australia
- The qualifications must be awarded by Australian educational institutions that are registered on the Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS)
- Instructions for the course(s) must have been conducted in English
- You were physically in Australia for your study
- You must have completed two academic (actual course duration) years or 92 weeks of study in Australia, over a minimum of 16 calendar months